THE BIC COLLECTION EXHIBITED AT THE CENTQUATRE-PARIS FROM APRIL 14 TO MAY 13, 2018
An unprecedented exhibition of more than 140 works will be unveiled at the CENTQUATRE- exhibition center in PARIS, bringing together artists from all over the world who have been inspired by BIC®.
BIC®, a renowned brand, family company and world leader in the fields of stationery, lighters and razors, unveils its contemporary art collection for the first time.
This collection, which started in the late nineties at an exhibition in Italy devoted to the life story of Marcel Bich, today consists of more than 250 works by internationally recognized or upcoming artists. The works of art all have a point in common: they have been created with or inspired by BIC® products.
BIC®: an iconic brand and a source of inspiration
Since the launch of the BIC® Cristal® at the beginning of the fifties, many international artists have used the pen to create not only portraits and designs, but also sculptures and art installations. These artists have also been inspired by BIC® lighters and razors.
More than 140 exceptional and diverse works have been selected for this exhibition which will present pieces from more than 80 illustrious artists such as Alberto Giacometti or René Magritte, Fernand Léger, Alighiero Boetti and contemporary artists such as Martin Parr, Claude Closky, Philippe Favier, Angiola Gatti, Mamadou Cissé, etc. Not forgetting the younger generation, with THE KID and Anne-Flore Cabanis represented.
The exhibition of the BIC Collection is a way to share previously unseen works where drawing is mixed with writing and where installation, sculptures and videos are displayed alongside design and fashion.
A new kind of artistic and cultural venue, the CENTQUATRE-PARIS, welcomes the public and artists from around the world, which naturally made it the perfect choice for BIC to display its Collection.
The CENTQUATRE-PARIS and BIC share a common vision: touching and inspiring the largest number of people possible. Entirely free, the exhibition is intended for anyone who would like to enjoy a clear, simple and immersive display.
For Bruno Bich, CEO of the BIC Group, “This collection allows us to show how artists from all over the world can use BIC® products, as tools for creation or a source of inspiration... We are thrilled to share these works with the public for the first time.”
A UNIQUE COLLECTION OF PREVIOUSLY UNSEEN WORKS
The exhibition will take place at the CENTQUATRE, a unique setting whose architectural design is divided into four sections. This allows visitors to admire the collection across four themes: historic artists, a portrait gallery, design and fashion, and imaginary architecture.
The exhibition space opens onto a unique installation by the Austrian artist Herbert Hinteregger, which was created from 15,000 BIC® Cristal® pens. Among the commissioned works created for the exhibition, the Brazilian artist Janaina Mello Landini designed a piece using a boat’s rigging ropes for an exterior passageway. The Franco-Moroccan artist Hicham Berrada has worked as a chemist and highlighted the various components of BIC® ink in fantastic works.
The exhibition also has a special section devoted to the themes of Claude Closky, Alighiero Boetti and Jan Fabre whose use of the BIC® Cristal® was fundamental to their craft.
CLOSKY Claude, Avant/Après (4 couleurs), 2004 - 29,5 x 39,5 cm ; BIC® ball pen on paper. ©Charly Gosp. Courtesy: artist and Collection BIC
The artists and their themes
Introduction around BIC histories: Philippe Favier, Lucile Lesueur, Mad Meg, Pixal Parasit and Raymond Savignac.
* The historic artists of the collection: Alighiero Boetti, Giorgio Colombo, Alberto Giacometti, Fernand Léger and René Magritte.
* The portrait gallery by: Enam Bosokah, Carine Brancowitz, Juan Francisco Casas, Fumatto, Aurore Marette , Martin Parr, Frédéric Poincelet, THE KID and Giuseppe Stampone.
* Design and fashion items: Oscar Carvallo, enPieza! Studio, Kate Lennard, Sophie Hardeman, Proêmes de Paris, Tsé-Tsé and Paolo Ulian.
* Imaginary architectures: Noviadi Angkasapura, Carlo Benvenuto, Hicham Berrada, Jonathan Bréchignac, Anne-Flore Cabanis, Rebecca Chamberlain, Petros Chrisostomou, Mamadou Cissé, Amie Dicke, Claude Closky, Jean Dupuy, Jan Fabre, Angiola Gatti, Ghazel, Herbert Hinteregger, Thomas Hirschhorn, Frédéric Khodja, Kai & Sunny, Charles Laib Bitton, Eric Lambé, Janaina Mello Landini, Il Lee, Kevin Lucbert, Liu Kai, Andreï Molodkin, Teresa Poester, Haleh Redjaian, Vincent Servoz, Stephen Shultz, Ingénieur Vancy, Dominique Vangilbergen, Shony Wijaya and Tatiana Wolska.
Curators : Hervé Mikaeloff and Ingrid Pux
Exhibition from April 14 to May 13, 2018.
- during school holidays : from Tuesday to Friday between 2:00 and 7:00 pm and on week-ends from 12:00 am to 7:00 pm.
- outside of school holidays : On Wednesdays, Thursdays and Fridays from 2:00 to 7:00 pm, and from 12:00 am to 7:00 pm on Saturdays and Sundays.
The exhibition catalog will be sold in the bookstore.
Guided visits to the exhibition can be organized for school groups and adults.
Albane de La Tour d’Artaise
+33 1 45 19 51 51
Laurence Heilbronn - Isabelle de Segonzac
+33 1 53 70 74 89
Le CENTQUATRE PARIS
Virginie Duval de Laguierce